back to top
- 2008 MFA, Studio Art, Maryland Institute College of Art. Baltimore, MD
- 2003 MA, Visual Communication, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Chapel Hill, NC
- 1995 BA, History, Duke University. Durham, NC
- SOLO & TWO-PERSON EXHIBITIONS
- 2009 Unite and Untie, Houston Center For Photography, Houston TX
- 2009 Guantánamo Bay, Civilian Art Projects, Washington DC
- 2009 Home Fronts: The Pretend Villages of Talatha and Braggistan, Halsey Institute of Contemporary Art, Charleston SC
- 2008 Home Fronts: The Pretend Villages of Talatha and Braggistan, Center for the Study of the American South, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill NC
- 2008 Thesis Exhibition, Decker Gallery, Maryland Institute of Art, Baltimore MD
- 2005 Home Fronts, 2002-2005, Showcase School of Photography, Atlanta GA
- 2004 Recruit, John Hope Franklin Center Main Gallery, Duke University, Durham NC
- 1998 Photographs from the Parish of the Immaculate Conception Church, Durham Art Guild, Durham NC
durham art guild
- SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS
- 2010 Discoveries of the Meeting Place, Fotofest 2010, Houston TX
- 2008 Pastime, Civilian Art Projects, Washington DC
- 2008 Act of Faith, Warsaw School of Social Psychology, Warsaw Poland
- 2008 Act of Faith, School of Humanities and Journalism, Poznan Poland
- 2008 Traveling exhibition to multiple venues in North Carolina, North Carolina Dept of Cultural Resources
- 2007 Photo Grids, Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, Winston-Salem NC
- 2007 Act of Faith, Noorderlicht Photofestival, Groningen Netherlands
- 2007 Spectra '07, Silvermine Guild Arts Center, New Canaan CT, juried by Peter MacGill
- 2007 Texas Photographic Society 16th National Competition, St. Edward's University Art Gallery, Austin TX, traveling exhibition juried by Michelle Dunn Marsh, Associate
Director for Aperture and director of Aperture West.
- 2007 Photography Triennial Exhibition, Gregg Museum of Art and Design, North Carolina State University, Raleigh NC, juried by Joyce Tenneson
- 2007 Faculty Exhibition, Center for Documentary Studies, Duke University, Durham NC
- 2007 Slow Exposures, R.F. Strickland Building, Concord GA, juried by Birney Imes and Sylvia Plachy
- 2007 5th Photographic Image Biennial, W.B. Gray Gallery, East Carolina University, Greenville NC, juried by Mark Klett
- 2007 Joyce Elaine Grant Photography Exhibition, Texas Woman's University, Denton TX, juried by Katherine Ware, Curator of Photographs, Philadelphia Museum of Art
- 2006 2006 Center Awards Juried Exhibition, Center for Photographic Art, Carmel CA, juried by Sarah Greenough, Curator, National Gallery of Art, Washington DC
- 2006 80th Photography Competition, The Print Center, Philadelphia PA, juried by Stephen Pinson, Curator of Photography, New York Public Library
- 2006 Discovering Contemporary Art in the Carolinas, Fayetteville Museum of Art, Fayetteville NC
- 2006 Group Exhibition 2006, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore MD
- 2005 Fellowship 2005, Silver Eye Center for Photography, Pittsburgh PA, juried by Lesley Martin, Executive Editor, Aperture Books
- 2005 Focused, Photographic Center Northwest, Seattle WA, juried by Mary Virginia Swanson
- 2005 National Photography Competition, Soho Photo Gallery, New York NY, juried by Richard B. Woodward
- 2005 25th Annual North Carolina Photographers Juried Exhibition, Weems Gallery, Meredith College, Raleigh NC, juried by Philip Brookman, Corcoran Gallery of Art
- 2005 The Lensless Image: Contemporary Pinhole Photography, Upstairs Gallery, Tryon NC
- 2004 Texas Photographic Society 13th National Competition, Design Center of Austin, Austin TX, juried by Sue Brisk, Magnum Photos
- 2004 24th Annual North Carolina Photographers Juried Exhibition, Weems Gallery, Meredith College, Raleigh NC, juried by Anne Wilkes Tucker, Museum of Fine Arts,
- 2004 Fellowship 2004, Silver Eye Center for Photography, Pittsburgh PA, juried by Tom E. Hinson, Cleveland Museum of Art
- 2004 Fellowship Exhibition, Houston Center for Photography, Houston TX
- 2004 4th National Juried Photography Exhibition, Stepping Stone Gallery, Huntington NY, juried by Andrea Modica
- 2003 49th Annual Juried Art Show, Durham Art Guild, juried by Fay Gold, Fay Gold Gallery
- 2003 Image 2003, Jay Hawkins Gallery, New York NY
- 2003 Carolina Union Gallery, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill NC
- 2000 American Identities, State University of New York-Potsdam, Potsdam NY
- 1999 Carried to the Heart: Faith and Doubt in Contemporary Southern Photography, Millsaps College, Jackson MS
- 1998 Fields Without Borders, Center for Documentary Studies, Duke University, Durham NC, traveling exhibition
- 2005-2008 Maryland Institute College of Art Fellowship
- 2007 Marty Forscher Fellowship Honorable Mention, Parsons School of Design and PDN
- 2008 PDN Photography Annual, Best Photography of the Year
- 2007 PDN Photography Annual, Best Photography of the Year
- 2007 Magenta Foundation Flash Forward Honorable Mention
- 2006 Photolucida Critical Mass Finalist
- 2006 Puffin Foundation Grant
- 2003 PDN Photography Annual, Best Photography of the Year
- 2003 National Fellowship, Houston Center for Photography
- 2003 Judge’s Award (Julie Saul, Julie Saul Gallery), American Society of
Media Photographers–New York photography competition
- 2003 Finch Paper photography competition, Honorable Mention
- 2001-2003 Park Fellowship, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2002 Graduate Research Grant in Photography, Center for the Study of
the American South, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- 2000 Small Project Grant for Artists, D.C. Commission on the Arts and Humanities
- 1995 Benenson Award, Institute of the Arts, Duke University
- 1995 Julie Harper Day Prize in Documentary Studies, Center for
Documentary Studies, Duke University
- 1992Research Award, Center for International Studies, Duke University
- SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
- Podcast. Daylight Magazine. October 2008.
- PDN. May 2008, May 2007, and May 2003.
- “Basic Training.” NC State Alumni Magazine. Summer 2007.
- “Practicing Justice.” Duke Magazine. July–August 2006.
- “Married to the Military.” American RadioWorks Web site. July 2005.
- American Photography 20. Kathy Ryan, New York Times Magazine,
ed. New York: Amilus, 2004.
- “An Army, One by One.” Sixbillion.org. Issue 2, fall 2003.
- American Photography on Campus. September 2003.
- The Human Cost of Food: Farmworkers’ Lives, Labor, and Advocacy.
Austin: University of Texas Press, 2002.
- Image: A Journal of Arts and Religion. Fall 1999
- 2005 - present: Photography and Multimedia. Undergraduate curriculum,
Center for Documentary Studies, Duke University.
- 2001 - present: Photography. Continuing Studies, Duke University.